New York Courts dot gov
New York StateUnified Court System

Nonpayment Answer Program

Alternate Languages Español

This free and easy program will ask you questions about your New York City nonpayment case. At the end, you can print out an answer chart to take with you to the Housing Court Clerk so you can answer the petition in person (oral answer). You will also receive facts sheets with information about defenses and counterclaims.

You can use this program if:

  • you live in a rent stabilized apartment, or
  • you live in New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) housing,
  • you have not gotten a warrant of eviction, and
  • you don’t get a Section 8 subsidy or live in a Section 8 project based building.

It is helpful to have a copy of the notice of petition and petition with you when you use the program.

 Go to the Nonpayment Answer Program

If this program is not for you, learn more about answering a case or visit one of the Civil Court’s Help Centers and speak to a help center attorney free of charge, or you can see if there is a court form that you can complete yourself.

Who Can Use These Programs?
You can use DIY Forms if:

  • you're a court user and you don't have a lawyer;
  • you're a legal services provider;
  • you're a pro bono lawyer. Pro bono lawyers filing a DIY Form must submit thispro bono affirmation.
  • you're from a low-bono (reduced fee) program recognized and authorized to use the DIY Form programs by the NYS Courts Access to Justice Program. You must submit this low-bono affirmation with the filing.

Commercial use is prohibited and no one may charge for using these programs. When you begin the program, you will be asked to accept these terms of use.

Computer Requirements
In order to use DIY Form programs, make sure you have the following:

  • Attached printer

Help Using DIY Forms
See Frequently Asked Questions for help using DIY Form programs.

Please Note: It is always better to talk to a lawyer, if possible.