Find a Lawyer

The NYS Court System can't recommend any specific lawyer but we can help you find the right lawyer for your legal problem.


Free Lawyer Help

To find information on getting a lawyer for free visit LawHelp and type in your zip code or the county you live in. Next choose your legal problem and then choose the sub-category. The click on “go” to find a list of legal services organizations that may be able to help if you qualify. Many are only for low-income families.

Many courts have volunteer lawyer programs. You can get advice for free by talking to the lawyer at the courthouse. But, these lawyers do not go to court for you. The volunteer lawyer programs are open to everyone. Check to see if the Court Help Center has volunteer lawyers or use the court locater button to contact the court and ask.


Paid Lawyer Help

The New York State Bar Association and the New York City Bar Association can help you find a lawyer in your area. Lawyers will charge you $35.00 for a 30-minute meeting. If your legal problem concerns personal injury, social security, medical malpractice, veteran's and military law, unemployment or workers' compensation, the 30-minute meeting with the lawyer is free.

During your visit with the lawyer, you and the lawyer will discuss your legal problem and the lawyer will give you advice. You do not have to hire the lawyer. The lawyer does not have to take your case. If the lawyer agrees to take your case, the lawyer will charge you at his or her regular rates.



There are a number of programs that will provide a lawyer for a Veteran for free or for a reduced fee. Visit the New York State Bar Association for more information.


New York City Tenants

Some tenants can get a free lawyer in their cases under the Universal Access to Legal Services Law. New York City is the first city in the country to provide lawyers for tenants in housing cases. By 2022, all tenants should be able to get some free legal assistance. Visit the NYC Housing Court to see if you are eligible.

Related Information:

YouTube DIY Forms Ask a Law Librarian