Order of Support

It can take several court visits for the Judge or Support Magistrate to understand your family's financial situation. A "temporary" order of support may be given the first time you go to court. The temporary order will tell the other parent to start paying some amount of child support right away. This child support amount may be different from the amount in the "final" order of support.

If you disagree with the child support order, you can file an "Objection." An Objection must be filed in court within 30 days of the date the court order was sent to you. The other parent will have a chance to reply to the Objection. The court will then make a decision on the Objection. The court might leave the order as is, or change it, or order more hearings. Either parent has the right to appeal the Objection decision to a higher court. Talk to a clerk in the Family Court if you want to do this.


Help with Your Support Order

If you already have a order of support from Family Court, you can use the Support Modification DIY Program to ask the court to change the order or the Support Enforcement DIY Program to ask the court to enforce it if it is not being followed.


Chat with us to find legal information and free legal services near you.

YouTube DIY Forms Ask a Law Librarian