Child Name Change Petition Program

Aviso: Este programa es en inglés, pero obtendrá su traducción al pulsar sobre "ESPAÑOL." Deberá responder en inglés o el tribunal rechazará sus documentos.

This free and easy program helps a parent make all the court papers needed to ask the Supreme or Civil Court to change the name of one or more children. When you finish the program, you will get instructions that tell you how to file the papers and pay the court fee.

You can use this program if:

  • The child is 17 years old or younger.
  • You are the child’s parent, and
  • You and the child live in New York State.

Name change requests can be viewed by anyone because they are public records, but you can ask the court to "seal" the records for your or your child's personal safety. This means that no one will be able to find the records of the application even while the case is pending. See Privacy and Name Changes.


Correcting a Birth Certificate

You may not need a court order to correct a birth certificate mistake.



arrow  Child Name Change Petition Program

Note: You will be taken to our partner website called LawHelp Interactive.

You can "Sign Up" for an account or go directly to the program without signing up by clicking on the green "Get Started" button. Then check to agree to the Terms of Use and click on "Continue" to begin the program.


About DIY Forms

Who Can Use These Programs?
You can use DIY Forms if:

  • you're a court user and you don't have a lawyer;
  • you're a legal services provider;
  • you're a pro bono lawyer. Pro bono lawyers filing a DIY Form must submit thispro bono affirmation.
  • you're from a low-bono (reduced fee) program. You must submit a low-bono affirmation with the filing.

Commercial use is prohibited and no one may charge for using these programs. When you begin the program, you will be asked to accept these terms of use.

Computer Requirements
In order to use DIY Form programs, make sure you have the following:

  • Attached printer

Help Using DIY Forms
See Frequently Asked Questions for help using DIY Form programs.

YouTube DIY Forms Ask a Law Librarian