Visitation is also called “parenting time.” When one parent has sole custody of a child, the court will let the parent who doesn’t have custody visit with the child unless there is a reason not to allow visitation. Custody and visitation are two separate issues, but they are usually decided during the same hearing.

A parent has a right to visitation, unless the court decides there is a reason, they should not have visitation rights. A visitation petition can be filed as a separate case. The court will order visitation if it is in the best interest of the child.


Who Can File for Visitation

A child's parents, grandparents, and siblings can ask the court for visitation. This doesn't mean that the court will give visitation.

If the child is in foster care, a parent has a right to visit with the child unless their parental rights have been "terminated." If the parent's parental rights have been terminated, this means that they do not have a right to visit the child.


The Visitation Hearing

The assigned Judge will have a hearing to decide on a visitation schedule if the parents can’t agree on one.


Help with Your Visitation Order

If you already have a custody or visitation order for your child from Family Court, you can use the Custody/Visitation Modification DIY Program to ask the court to change the order or the Custody/Visitation Enforcement DIY Program to ask the court to enforce the order if it is not being followed.


Chat with us to find legal information and free legal services near you.

YouTube DIY Forms Ask a Law Librarian