Getting Rights Back

There are a number of laws and rules that bar people convicted of certain jobs from getting certain licenses, or having access to certain benefits, like public housing. This is why it is important to understand the Collateral Consequences of your criminal conviction when you are plea bargaining or sentenced. There are certain certificates called Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilities and Certificate of Good Conduct that can remove the consequences. The certificates can get rights back that you lost because of your conviction. If you get one of these certificates you won’t be automatically disqualified for a particular job or license. If you have a certificate when you apply for a job or occupational license, the employer or licensing agency must assume that you are rehabilitated unless there is something to say otherwise.

Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilities
Learn how to apply for a CRD if you have been convicted of any number of misdemeanors but not more than one felony.

Certificate of Good Conduct
Read how to apply for a CGC if you were convicted of 2 or more felonies, or want to apply for a public office job.

Sealed Records: After 10 Years
Eligible individuals can have misdemeanors and certain felonies sealed under CPL 160.59. See if you qualify and learn how to ask the Court to seal your records.

Sealed Records: Drug-Related Crime
Certain drug-related felony and misdemeanor convictions can be conditionally sealed under CPL 160.58 if you have completed a drug treatment program. See if you qualify and learn how to ask the Court to seal your records.

Sex Offender Petition for Relief or Modification
Read about when and how a sex offender can ask to be removed from the registry or change his or her risk level.

Relief From Federal Firearms Disabilities in Guardianship Cases
Read the court rule about petitioning the court for relief from firearms disabilities in cases where a guardian was appointed.

YouTube DIY Forms Ask a Law Librarian