New York Courts dot gov
New York StateUnified Court System

Summons by Mail

If you are an out-of -state plaintiff or you are disabled and your disability makes it difficult for you to come to court in person, you may follow the procedure below to obtain your summons and complaint by mail.

• Click on Application for a Pro Se Summons and download the Civil Court form. If you are unable to download the form, you may call the court and an application will be mailed to you.
• Complete the Application for a Pro Se Summons form.
• Place the following three items in an envelope:
1. the completed Application for a Pro Se Summons form,
2. a money order made payable to the “Clerk of the Civil Court” for the fee for the Summons. To find out the amount of the fee, click on Court Fees, and
3. a stamped, self-addressed envelope.
• Address the outer envelope and mail it to the Cashier, Civil Court Clerk’s Office. To find out the address of the Civil Court in the county you are suing, click on Address.

After the Civil Court receives your application, the money order and the stamped, self addressed envelope, the Clerk will return to you a copy of a Summons with Endorsed Complaint. Once you receive the copy of the Summons, you must sign it and then follow the procedure for serving and filing the Summons. Click on Starting a Case for more information. When you come to court, you will need to sign the original Summons.




























Map of NY City Counties  Search Civil Court