Emergency Eviction & Foreclosure Prevention Act of 2020
5/4/2021- Moratorium Extended to August 31, 2021.
On December 28, 2020, Governor Cuomo signed into law the COVID-19 Emergency Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Act of 2020 (L. 2020, c. 381; “Act”). The Act was recently extended through August 31, 2021 (L. 2021, c. 104) and continues to provide relief to respondents and defendants in residential eviction proceedings and foreclosure actions in New York State, including, among other things:
- Publishing a form “Hardship Declarations” to be used by tenant-respondents in eviction matters and defendant-mortgagors in residential foreclosure actions in reporting financial hardship during or due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Staying residential eviction proceedings (“Proceedings”) and residential real property mortgage foreclosure actions (“Actions”) until at least August 31, 2021 in Proceedings and Actions where a tenant-respondent or defendant-mortgagor submits a completed Hardship Declaration.
- Ch.104, L.2021, The COVID-19 Emergency Residential and Commercial Evictions Extension
- The COVID-19 Emergency Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Act of 2020
- Administrative Order AO/160/21 (addressing evictions)
- Administrative Order AO/159/21 (addressing foreclosures)
- Memorandum of Chief Administrative Judge Lawrence K. Marks, dated May 24, 2021 (addressing foreclosure proceedings)
- Memorandum of Chief Administrative Judge Lawrence K. Marks, dated May 24, 2021 (addressing eviction proceedings)
- CIVIL LEGAL SERVICES PROVIDERS FOR HOUSING MATTERS
- Foreclosure cases (Excel listing of county and index number only) in which Hardship Declarations were mailed to a defendant at 99 Washington Avenue, Albany (Department of State), but returned by the U.S. Post Service.
- SENDING ADDITIONAL COPIES OF RESIDENTIAL EVICTION HARDSHIP DECLARATIONS TO THE COURTS OUTSIDE NEW YORK CITY BY EMAIL
(When Signed and submitted by residential tenants and residential homeowners/mortgagors, requires their cases to be temporarily delayed (or not started until at least August 31st, 2021).