The Court of Common Pleas was established by the Dongan Charter of 1686. Also known as the Mayor’s Court, it was a civil court with jurisdiction limited to the City of New York. In 1691, the court’s jurisdiction was extended throughout the State and the court was continued under the Constitution of 1777. Under the Constitution of 1846, the court’s jurisdiction was again restricted to the City of New York and it was given appellate jurisdiction from orders of the Marine Court and District Courts of New York City. Its jurisdiction in all other counties was transferred to the County Court. When the Court of Common Pleas of the City of New York was abolished by the Constitution of 1894, it was the oldest judicial tribunal in the State of New York. Its jurisdiction was transferred to the New York Supreme Court.