Court for the Trial of Impeachments and Correction of Errors, 1777-1846

The Court for the Trial of Impeachments and Correction of Errors was established by the Constitution of 1777. Commonly called the Court of Errors, it was the court of final appeal and replaced the Provincial right of final appeal to the Crown in London. The Court heard appeals from the New York Court of Chancery and the New York Supreme Court of Judicature, and its bench consisted of the President of the New York Senate, the New York Senators and either the Judges of the Supreme Court or the New York Chancellor, depending upon the court from which the appeal was taken. The Court of Errors was abolished under the Constitution of 1846 and replaced by the New York Court of Appeals.