Livingston County Courthouse

Livingston County Courthouse

2 Court Street, Geneseo, NY

Built: 1898, addition 1957

Houses: Supreme, County, Surrogate, Family and Commissioner of Jurors

Judicial District: Seventh

Livingston County Courthouse in Geneseo was built in 1898 to replace the original courthouse of 1823 which was considered to be obsolete and was demolished. The new building shows a strong colonial influence, featuring Flemish bond brick with stone quoins at the corners, colonial style windows, large cupola on the roof, and a two-story columned portico supporting a pediment. A brick addition was built at the rear in 1957, but has no character in comparison to the original portion.

Livingston County, heartland of the Genesee Valley, derives its name from Chancellor Robert R. Livingston, distinguished patriot, statesmen and agriculturist. Geneseo, being centrally located, has always been the County Seat. In 1823 a brick courthouse was completed and occupied the site with a wooden jail and a cobblestone clerk's office. In 1898 the front of the original building was found to be in great disrepair ,demolished and replaced with the present front section, which, designed by Claude F. Bragdon, is widely known for its architectural beauty. In 1956 the county office addition was added to the north end of the building. A new County Government Center office building was erected in 1993 and all county offices were moved from the courthouse. The courthouse was completed renovated in 1994 and required the courts to temporarily be relocated to Avon. The courts returned to the courthouse in February 1995 and now share the courthouse with the District Attorney's Office.

Source: "Survey of Court Facilities in New York State", NYS Office of Court Administration...1981 pg 352; information from the Seventh Judicial District.