State Hall

State Hall

Albany, NY

On Eagle Street, erected 1835-42.

This building of classic design was constructed to relieve crowded conditions of the Old Capitol of 1808-1883. Facing on Eagle Street for 138 feet, its north and south walls run back 88 feet on Steuben and Pine Streets. Started in 1835 and constructed using white stone from Sing Sing, it was used in part in 1840 and completed in 1842; cost, $350,000. The building intially housed State offices.

The Court of Appeals moved from the courtroom in the new Capitol to State Hall in 1916-1917, at which time the building was renamed Court of Appeals Hall.

Source: Alden Chester, Legal and Judicial History of New York, vol. III, pg. 19; There Shall Be . . .