Stands at head of State Street; construction commenced 1869; corner stone laid June 24th, 1871; officially declared the Capitol, May 14th 1878; occupied 1884; completed 1898; cost, including land, $24,265,082.67.
The State Court of Appeals vacated the Old Capitol in May 1883 and held its first session in the new Capitol on October 1, 1883. The courtroom was on the second floor. The Court remained at the Capitol until 1916 and it held its first session at the old State Hall, renamed Court of Appeals Hall, on January 14, 1917.
Source: Alden Chester, Legal and Judicial History of New York, vol. III.