26 Church Street, Lyons, NY
Built in 1854 and designed by Henry Searle of Rochester, NY. Expanded and renovated in 1897 and 1957.
Houses: Supreme, County, Family and Surrogate Courts.
Seventh Judicial District.
The present Wayne County Courthouse in Lyons was erected in 1854 replacing the original courthouse of 1823 which was destroyed by fire. Built at the end of the Greek Revival period, it is an all brick structure with an lonic columned portico and large prominent dome. The courthouse is situated opposite a village green, and the other side of which is the County Office Building of 1872.
The most remarkable feature of this building is the large, old courtroom on the second floor, preserved for the most part in its original appearance. With its spectators' gallery, richly detailed woodwork, tall narrow windows, and lavish appointments, it remains one of the most handsome of the historic courtrooms in the state.
Two major renovations and additions have taken place, the first in 1897 and the most recent in 1957, yet the building has retained most of its original appearance.
Source: "Survey of Court Facilities in New York State," NYS Office of Court Administration. 1981 pg. 360