New York Courts dot gov
New York StateUnified Court System

Ithaca City Court

Payment of Fine and Mandatory Surcharge

Payment Due Date | Acceptable Forms of Payment | Where to Pay | Payment By Credit Card  | Applying Bail Monies to a Fine | Extension to Pay | Consequences of Failing to Pay


If you have been assessed a fine and/or mandatory surcharge, you must make payment by the date directed by the Court.



Acceptable forms of payments are:

  • cash
  • money order or certified bank check payable to the City Court
  • applying bail monies to a fine (click here for further instructions)
  • credit cards (Discover, Mastercard and Visa only)

Note: The Court does NOT accept personal checks.



Payments may be made:

  • in person at the Clerk's Office located in the City Courthouse
  • by mail (Note: Do NOT send cash through the mail).


You may pay by credit card at the City Court Clerk's office, by obtaining a credit card payment form from the Clerk of the Court or by providing the following written information to the Court:

  • All Applicable Ticket Number(s) or Court Docket Number(s)
  • Name of Defendant
  • Current Address of Defendant
  • Sixteen Digit DISCOVER, VISA or MASTERCARD number
  • Card Expiration Date
  • Type of Card (Discover, MasterCard or Visa)
  • Printed Name of Card Holder (see below for identification requirements if cardholder is not the defendant)
  • Signature of Card Holder
  • Address of Card Holder
  • Telephone Number (including area code) where card holder can be reached during the day
  • 3 digit code

The above information may be mailed or hand delivered to the City Court.

If the Cardholder is NOT the defendant, the cardholder MUST submit photo identification (or 2 forms of non-photo identification) to the Court. If submitting by mail, a copy of the identification MUST be submitted with the payment.

Credit Card payments are not accepted via the telephone or by fax. The court must receive the cardholder’s ORIGINAL signature with the credit card authorization.



If additional time is needed to pay a fine or surcharge, you must make a request in writing for an extension. Your request must indicate:

  • the reason for the extension
  • a date that you will be able to pay
  • current MAILING address and telephone number

The Court will consider the request and notify you of the decision.



Failure to pay the fine and/or mandatory surcharge as directed ...

... will result in a warrant for your arrest and/or
... may result in the suspension of your drivers license and additional fees to lift each suspension and/or
... may result in the Court filing a Civil Judgment with the County Clerk which may affect your credit rating.





March 6, 2013