New York Courts dot gov
New York StateUnified Court System

Oneida City Court

Civil Court

Small Claims Proceedings

Small Claims Uniform City Court Act - 1801

The term "small claim" or "small claims" as used in this act shall mean and include any cause of action for money only not in excess of five thousand dollars exclusive of interest and costs, provided that the Defendant either resides in, or has an office for the transaction of business or a regular employment, within the county.

Who Can Use Small Claims?

An individual may use Small Claims Court to recover money damages.

Corporations, Partnerships, Associations or Assignees cannot bring actions in Small Claims, they can file in Commercial Claims Court. Ask the Court Clerk for additional information.

What Is the Geographic Jurisdiction?

You must bring the action where the Defendant resides or where he/she is doing business at the time you start the action.

Oneida City Court has jurisdiction within Madison County.

How Much Can I Sue For?

Up to $5,000.00 (exclusive of interest and costs) - Money damages only. You may not sue for return of property.

How Much Does it Cost?

The fees range from $15.00 to $20.00 to file. Refer to the application to determine the correct amount of the filing fee.

Is There an Age Limit?

You must be 18 years or older to bring an action in Small Claims; otherwise, the action must be brought by a parent or guardian. The party you are filing against must be 18 years of age, if not the suit must be brought against their parent or guardian.

For further information please ask the Clerk for a copy of A Guide to Small Claims Court. You should review this booklet prior to appearing for your hearing.

back to top