New York Court Help

Use the scroll bar to search the information below.

Traffic Cases

Q. I got a traffic ticket. Where do I go?

A. The name and address of the court is listed on the ticket with the date and time that the case will be heard in court.

 return to top

Q. What will happen if I do nothing about the ticket?

A. A warrant can be issued for your arrest and your license can be suspended.

 return to top

Q. What happens if I plead guilty?

A. A fine and mandatory surcharge can happen. Also, if the charge is a moving violation like speeding, red light, or stop sign, points will attach to the driver's license that can make the driver's auto insurance rates higher. Certain traffic infractions can result in a jail sentence of up to 15 days.

 return to top

Q. What happens if I plead not guilty?

A. Your case will be scheduled for trial. You can decide to change your plea later. You can try to work out an arranged sentence with the prosecutor, and find out if the court will agree to the arrangement.

 return to top

Q. What is a supporting deposition?

A. A supporting deposition is a document that has information about why the ticket was given, the time and location of the stop, and other information about what happened. If you want to see that document, you can check the box on the ticket for this.

 return to top

Q. Why can't the court accept my insurance card as proof of insurance of my vehicle?

A. You can still have an insurance card after your insurance has been canceled. That is why an original letter from the insurance company or agent is required.

 return to top

Q. Do I need a license to attend driver's improvement school?

A. Yes.

 return to top

Q. My license was suspended. How do I get it back?

A. After getting written permission from the judge who made the decision, an application can be made to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Final approval is with the DMV.

 return to top

Q. I was charged with DWI and my license was taken away. My case was then dismissed but the DMV won't give me back my license. What do I do?

A. The final determination about giving back the license is with DMV.

 New York State Unified Court System
Court Facts
The Law