State of New York Unified Court System

State of New York
Supreme Court, Appellate Division
Third Judicial Department
Attorney Admissions

P.O. Box 7350, Capitol Station
Albany, New York
12224-0350

(518) 471-4778
Fax (518) 471-4749

Daniel C. Brennan
Principal Attorney

 

Applying for Admission

 


In New York State, each department of the Appellate Division is responsible for admitting applicants to the practice of law.  Applicants may be admitted upon passage of the New York bar examination or, if qualified, on motion.  In addition to admitting applicants who live or work within its jurisdiction, the Appellate Division, Third Department is also responsible for admitting candidates seeking to practice in New York who neither reside nor work in the state (i.e., applicants from other states or countries).  Each year, the Third Department admits applicants from across the country and around the world.

The Third Department evaluates the character and fitness of each candidate it considers for admission to the bar.  This duty is discharged by the Court's Committee on Character and Fitness, which is comprised of practicing attorneys appointed by the Court and assisted by Admissions Office staff.  Successful applicants are sworn in before the Court at large ceremonies in January and June of each year, and at smaller ceremonies held throughout the year.

In 2016, the Appellate Division, Third Department admitted 3,375 applicants to the New York bar with 87% of applicants admitted upon examination and the remaining 13% admitted on motion

 
How to Apply for Admission On Examination
How to Apply for Admission Without Exam
Application for Admission Forms
Change of Address
Transfer of Application for Admission
FAQs

Helpful Hints

Criminal Records
Pro Bono Rule
Part 805: Admission of Attorneys
Letter to 2017 Bar Exam Applicants
 

Information for Admitted Attorneys

Request for Certificate of Good Standing
Large Embossed Certificate of Admission
Request for a Disciplinary History Letter
Attorney Name Change Request Form
Attorney Registration Requirements
Secure Pass ID Card
Continuing Legal Education
Application to Voluntarily Resign From New York State Bar
 

Other Licenses and Registrations

Registration as In House Counsel
Admission Pro Hac Vice
Instructions to Applicants for 18-Month Admission Pro Hac Vice
Instructions for Appointment of Law Intern
Foreign Legal Consultant Licenses
 

General Information

How to Contact Us
Committees on Character and Fitness
Admissions Office Annual Report


Home