New York Courts dot gov
New York StateUnified Court System

Minor Name Change Petition Program

This free and easy program helps parents make a petition to change the name of one or more minor child. When you finish the program, you can print your New York City Minor Name Change Petition. The program will tell you how to file it in the courthouse to change the minor's name. The court charges $65.00 to change the name of one or more minor child.

You can use this program if:

• the minor is less than 18 years old, and
• you are the minor's parent.

Name change requests can be viewed by anyone because they are public records. If you want to keep your name change private for safety or other reasons, do not use this program.

For general information about domestic violence, contact the New York State Coalition Against Domestic Violence at 1-800-942-6906 (Llame al 1-800-942-6908 para EspaƱol).

Go to the Minor Name Change Petition Program

If this program is not for you, learn more about name changes or visit one of the Civil Court's Help Centers and speak to a help center attorney free of charge, or you can see if there is a court form that you can complete yourself.

Computer Requirements
You must have the following on your computer:

1. Adobe Flash to see the program. Get it now for free.

Get Adobe Flash Player

2. Microsoft Word to print the completed court forms properly. If you don't have Microsoft Word, you can download Word Viewer now for free.

Get MS Office Word Viewer

Please Note: It is always better to talk to a lawyer, if possible.

DIY Forms are not for commercial use and charging for use in any way is prohibited.



Map of NY City Counties  Search Civil Court: